Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Try again

What do you do when you’ve put a ton of effort into a project and it flops? I am still trying to figure that one out.

This month we wanted to get our course “Getting to know the Bible” going again. We first offered the course back in November. For that effort we distributed about 2000 flyers and knocked doors. We ended up with a good group for both sessions of three lessons. This time we distributed over 2500 cards inviting the neighbors, put up posters in all the local stores, knocked some doors and . . . welcomed no one to the one session of three lessons which we had planned.

We of course have been praying for these efforts, as have many of you. Sean was more upset for me than I was, I think. He kept mentioning how I had put so much effort into it, that it was disappointing that no one came. He was right. But I know that we need to keep on trying.

So we have set anther date (end of April) when we will once again offer the course. The cards we distributed mentioned that the course would start soon. This time we will also get some press releases in the local papers and knock some more doors. And we will pray, as we have from the beginning.

Sometimes it is hard to know if I should share the struggles that go with these efforts. But to be honest, I am glad that I can share this. We cannot do this alone. And, thankfully, we are not doing it alone. Thank you for your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. As you know, there are times we put in all the effort and see no results ... only to learn later (often MUCH later) that good was, in fact, done. I've had people over the years tell me how something we'd done blessed them when I thought the whole effort was a bust. God blesses our kingdom efforts whether or not we ever see the results. So be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! We continue to trust in God's might rather than our sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. These dissapointments are not meant to carry alone. Sharing these things helps take the load off, we learn from them, know what to pray for, and know how to encourage in turn. Great sentence, "we continue to trust in God's might rather than our sight." I feel a song coming on. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete