Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Lessons in grace: Ripples through time


I heard the story plenty of times, and never tired of hearing it. One man and his family moved to a city and this man got into some conversations with his new neighbor, over the fence in the yard. The neighbor was a Christian and the father gave his life to Christ as well. This father had three sons and these sons, following the example of their father (and the man across the fence) became strong family men, in Christ. Their example in their families as well as in their daily lives influenced many others.

I was touched by these ever widening ripples while in junior high school by a son of the son of the father who talked to the man across the fence. This son was also a Christian, someone who even at that young age was following Jesus in his life choices. He and his sister and his family (cousins and uncles and aunts) influenced my decisions and vision of the world and what is good and right. I, too, gave my life to Jesus to lead.

I know of people all over the world who were personally influenced by these sons to choose for a life following Jesus, people who have gone on to influence many others in many other places. I can see the ripples caused in my life and some of the people I influence. What amazes me is that this is only what I can see. I am aware of this story, of these ripples. But I don’t know the story of the man across the fence. What I do know, and am thrilled by, is that he was touched by another who was touched by the growing grace of God.

My father in the faith, Ron Carter, passed away recently. He went Home. He received his reward. He was welcomed into the arms of the Father. What a wonderful Father we have who not only dissolves time at the right time, but ripples throughout time through this touching grace in all of those who choose to be touched. Choose to be touched by this grace and start touching others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment