Friday, March 11, 2016

Follow me!

Let's go!
This past weekend was exciting. Shirley was able to go over to Germany for the Ladies Retreat - organised this year by the ladies in Switzerland - and I was down at Bible camp for a youth weekend organized by the church in Rotselaar. Both groups, not because they had discussed it with one another, worked around the theme: Follow me.
Down in Solwaster (where our Bible camp is) I was greeted by 10 year-old Gideon. These days I have a hard time remembering how old the kids are, so I asked. He proudly announced that he was 10 and this was his first real youth weekend (he has tagged along with his parents before when they were leading a weekend). It was exciting to see these young kids wanting to learn about Jesus.
And it is truly so simple: Jesus is calling us to follow him, to trust Him with our lives. Because there is a lot of work to be done. He doesn’t just want us to follow, but that we help others to follow – as many as will listen.
And yes – it is a challenge to follow Him. He asks some pretty tough things, like: love your enemies, be willing to be last, don’t look at material things as most important, follow only me. But He also gives us some pretty amazing promises: I will be with you always, all authority in heaven and earth is given me, I will give you rest, take my yoke upon you.
I have always liked Matthew 11 especially. Not only does Jesus let us know that He is where we can find rest, He makes clear that we find that rest in working together with Him. It is not in a lack of work that we find worth, it is not in doing the work we wish to do, it is in working together with Him doing His work, taking His yoke up – together with Him.

Jesus has a ton of work that needs done and He wants to do it with us. I am so thankful for a team in Rotselaar, for ladies in Switzerland, for young people and old – all willing to follow. Will you join us?
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
To see some of the pictures (thanks Luk Brazle!) click here

No comments:

Post a Comment