Monday, August 22, 2016

Tripping on technology

It is amazing to me how interwoven our lives have become with technology. Even those who eschew the tech-tendrils of our current society are faced with a certain amount of inevitability. Although we are far from tech-wary or savvy, we try not to depend on our computers and such. But when my computer crashed this month (hard drive crash - no apparent reason) I realised how helpless I was. 
I learned long ago to keep an agenda, but these days my agenda is only on my computer (compared to ‘then’ when it was in my back pocket in a little book). I am not tech enough to have a smart phone synced to my computer, so everything is only on the computer. I was thankful, then, that I had written a few of my appointments down on our house calendar and had the rest in my head - since I could not check anything. 
And if I had wanted to check addresses or phone numbers to call someone about an appointment - my address book is also on my computer! Some of the numbers are in my phone or in my head, but many are not. And what was I to do about my emails? Thankfully, Sean’s old computer allowed me access to my webmail, so I was able to keep in touch a little bit. 
In the end, all of my information was saved and restored, I have my agenda and address book back and can continue as if nothing happened. Although, of course I should learn from this and make some changes. But what changes? Back to the past and a paper agenda? Forward to more expense and a synced smart phone (which can also crash)? I am still struggling with that question. 
In the meantime, I have enjoyed getting back to reading - yes, real books. And walking. And talking. Because let’s admit it, much of the day had become pretty connected to the computer. There is something to be said for what needs to be done - and is done more easily and efficiently on the computer. But a balance must be found. I was reminded of Matthew 6:21 and 33 - For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. … Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment