Monday, October 24, 2016

Step by step

I remember being thrilled that I could go to school, the excitement by every move we made to a new home, the feeling of slight dread when I realized I would be low man on the totem pole next year in high school, the wonder at being chosen to travel with a great bunch of guys to sing for people all over the US, and on and on. There are so many moments of change in our lives. And each one may seem huge at the moment – or just the opposite – but each one is important.
God is there at every turn. He sees what is happening with us, to us, and remember what we felt all those times in the past. Better yet, He knows what is coming – and doesn’t let us know. Imagine if we didn’t get to experience those changes, those challenges! But He does let us know, again and again, that He will always be there, even when we do not allow Him in.
Recently we enjoyed being part of some of these important, exciting moments. Sean graduated cum laude with his bachelor’s degree in journalism from Erasmus in Brussels. It was a privilege to be able to be there and share this with him. We enjoyed seeing how he interacted with all of his teachers, seeing how the man he has become (is still becoming) cares about others.
This past Sunday the congregation in Maastricht celebrated our sister Willemien’s 95th birthday. She has not been able to attend worship for quite some time, so it was wonderful to have her there to sing with and to enjoy a meal with afterwards. She may not remember everyone, may not be able to see or hear everyone, but she knows that God is there with her as she continues to walk in the Light. Exciting!

Take the time today to think about how God is there with you, in your moments, guiding and helping whenever you allow Him to be the mighty God that He is.

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

Psalm 139:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment