Monday, November 19, 2018

... for all the little things

I was recently reminded of various moments in my life that were pivotal. What amazed me is that when I recounted these moments to the person or persons who made the moment such a turning point, they didn’t even remember it. For them it had simply been part of who they were. A comment about what it means to be a follower of Christ, a listening ear when times were difficult, a word of encouragement when I needed it most – these moments in time had printed an image on my memory, but not on theirs. 
A few months back when we had a singing here in Maastricht, people came from Cologne and from Eindhoven. One of the visitors from Eindhoven was a Syrian refugee who has given his life to Christ. At one point, after the singing, he shared his story with one of our contacts who is considering giving her life to Christ, but is scared to death of water. His story, which includes a near-drowning and a similar fear of water, concluded with him showing a video of his own baptism and how beautifully simple and tender it was. 
He didn’t know how important showing that video was. The woman watching wanted to see it at least three more times. And she asked how he ahd overcome his fear. “I knew I was safe with these people.” T. is still struggling with her fear, but those words and that video have stuck with her. I wonder how God will use her in the future as he used the brother from Eindhoven. 
I am so thankful for the little things we all can do in our daily lives. But I am mostly thankful for how God can turn those small things into mighty deeds with His grace. It reminds me that this is the One who took a boys lunch and fed more than 5000, who turned jars for washing into the best wine at the party, who took 12 misfits followers and spread the good news of life all over the world. Of course that last bit is still happening – through you and me. 
Enjoy this weekend (we will be celebrating “Thanksmas” on December 1, which is when most of us will be free and can get together) and remember how mightily God can use your simple words of thanks, your simple deeds of kindness to touch people all over the world and through eternity. Thank you for your prayers for us and for your faithfulness if you are following the One who showed us all how life is to be lived. 

Rejoice always,pray continually,give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment