Monday, May 18, 2020

Salted

I have to admit that this corona thing hit me a bit unexpectedly. I was just planning on starting several different opportunities to reach out in the city when we all had to go home, stay home and only meet digitally. For the church I feel we were ready and moved quickly and fairly seamlessly into not only meeting together but greatly encouraging one another. But looking at the opportunities to reach out with the gospel, I was at a loss for a while. The thing is, I have always believed that we should always be speaking of our King and Saviour - whenever we are talking. So when we talk to people on a walk, God enters our conversation there. When we go to the store, God is in our conversation as well, if in no other way than to thank and bless the cashier. 
But suddenly, people seemed to be wary about speaking. People even seemed wary to look you in the eye. And our digital contacts were minimal. It has been exciting to hear how some people have even increased there conversations, have come across people who are seeking Christ in these uncertain times. And this is great, because Jesus is indeed the only way to find peace and certainty. And a few of our conversations have indeed increased - opportunities to look at who Jesus is and consider how He desires to walk with us in giving real life. 
Am I making good use of my time and conversations? Maybe. Maybe not.  I AM thankful for all of the opportunities we are afforded. I have had much more time to record songs for use in the church - which means that God’s word will speak to those who listen. I have had the chance to write - as a matter of fact, it feels like I am doing more writing now than ever before. But perhaps that is good use of the time. I am writing and translating articles for a new website for those who are seeking God. Or writing lessons for summer camp - which may or may not be possible. So there is plenty to do. And perhaps some of the newer digital methods of reaching people will also light up as people become aware. 
In any case, I need to keep asking myself the question: am I using my time wisely. And I need to keep speaking of my Lord wherever I am. Be salty. 

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:2-6

No comments:

Post a Comment