Monday, January 02, 2023

Hang on!

“Hang on!” When you hear those words, they could mean two different things. 

“Hang on!” Could be like the poster I saw when I attended York College so many years ago. It was of a small kitten holding on to a branch of a tall tree. Hold tight - help is on the way. That was the thought. This past weekend I was down at camp with 6 young people for Winterkamp. We talked about New Years’ resolutions and how to keep them going throughout the year. In my lesson on Sunday I talked about the apostle Peter and why I like his example so much. 

Throughout his life we see Peter as someone who was passionate about almost everything he did. So when he messed up, he often did it in a big way. But he never gave up. He picked himself up and kept going, knowing that Jesus (the one he messed up with so often) loved him. So I know that I do not have to give up - even if I have messed up. I can pick myself up and continue on, knowing that Jesus loves me. 

Hang on! That is what a lot of 2020 and 2021 looked like for many. This past year was a bit different, but still held a lot of this sentiment. 

“Hang on - here we go!” This is something I can remember from some exciting activities in the past. A rollercoaster just getting to the top of the hill before the scary, exciting, scream-inducing fall. Holding onto a bar, my feet in skis in the water, just before the boat pulls away with a growl and I have to try to stay upright and feel the thrill of sliding over the water (just before splashing face-first into the spray). White-water rafting. Driving a car for the first time or riding a motorcycle. Bicycling down a hill, racing against my brothers. Jumping across a chasm or the creek at camp, hoping not to fall. 

The excitement that comes with new moments, something dangerous, difficult and yet wonderful arriving at that moment. That is also where we stand now. This is a new year with new challenges and new blessings. We can face it because we walk with the one and only Almighty God who loves us deeply. So let’s go! 

It was a great weekend. We enjoyed many good conversations, watched some amazing fireworks on a night that was completely clear - even though it was supposed to be raining - and got to know each other better. We each of us headed home to different challenges, thankfully with still a little time to rest after a weekend of excitement. I am thankful for young people willing to get together and help one another. I am thankful for a place like camp that we can do these things. And I am so very thankful for a wonderful God who also says, “Hang on!”


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you encounter trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Allow perseverance to finish its work, so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment