Monday, April 17, 2023

Where are you going?

This past week my best friend’s father-in-law passed away quickly and unexpectedly. In my prayer time I have had two songs knocking around in my head and heart. The first is a song I heard as a new Christian, many, many years ago, and I am not quite sure what the title is. It says: “Where will you be when you get where you’re going? How can you know that you’re taking the right way?”
 
The gentle man who is now Home with the Father was someone who knew where he was going. He took great pains to let those around him know where that was and how to get there. He did this with gentleness and clarity. And I only met him a few times, but I have followed him and know his children.
Our theme this year in Maastricht comes from John 14:6 where Jesus says: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me.” So we have been looking at the idea of following the way. We can know the way to go, because Jesus says that we simply need to follow Him. This is something Marty was always talking about and sharing in his life.
The song got caught in my head because it meant a lot to me when I was a young Christian. There were lots of voices trying to tell me which way to go. There still are lots of voices telling us all kinds of ways. “How can you know that you’re taking the right way?” Because Jesus died for me and rose from the dead to show that He knows the way. He IS the way.
And it was Jesus’ great love, which Marty knew so well and talked about in so many ways, that brought the second song into my head. When we know this amazing love, then we do not fear wherever we are. We know that God is using us at all times wherever we are.
Do you know where you are going? I am not trying to make you feel (too) uncomfortable. But it is an important question to ask. We do not know when our life here will end. So we want to make sure that we are on the right path, walking in the light with Jesus, going Home. Stop and think today, this minute if you can, about amazing love and where you are in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment