Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Nuts

Last year was terrible. Our walnut tree in the backyard hardly let fall a nut all Fall (sorry, couldn’t resist). Whereas other years gave us plenty of crunch underfoot whenever we walked out toward the canal, last year only presented us with rotten nuts in the pod. So I wasn’t really prepared for this year’s crop.

Yesterday I went out with a box to pick up the few nuts I figured would be under the tree. I had seen a few as I went out that way to take Snuffles for a walk. But I wasn’t prepared for what I found – nuts everywhere! Grass doesn’t really grow underneath the walnut tree, but there is plenty of moss and other ground cover. The more I looked, the more I found. Nuts hiding under every little leaf. I would clear a section, move on to the next, and when I turned around found even more in the section I just cleared. I felt like Hammy from “Over the Hedge” – “I found my nuts!”

Now we just have to make sure they get dried. We are hanging them in sacks in three different areas around the house, trying to fighure out which is the best place to dry them: in the boiler room, in my office (which always has the window open) and upstairs in the attic. We’ll see what we get out of it. Come on by if you want some walnuts – we’ve got plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment