Friday, November 17, 2006

Getting to know you

The past few weeks have been really busy, but good. Let me quickly update you on what has been going on (since I haven't done that yet!).

Campaign- "Our" Canadians-

At the end of October/beginning of November we had a group of students from ABC (Alberta Bible College) visit to help us out and take part in a ministry experience. What that meant for us in Maastricht was that they helped us distribute some new cards in our neighborhood, talked to our young people, and played some discgolf while I talked to people along the way. It was great getting to know them and we are so thankful for what they were able to do.

- after distributing -

To be honest, distributing has never been one of my favorite methods. When I first came on campaigns (way back in the early 80's) with a group from York, we distributed thousands (over 70,000 if I remember right) folders in all sorts of places. You remember a lot of stairs and doors, but don't meet a lot of people. Of course, when you can't speak the language, there isn't much else to do about that.

Still, getting several thousand folders out into a neighborhood is still a good way to let people know that you are there. We passed out a card that looked like a favorite sticker on many of the mailboxes here. The real sticker says "NO - I don't want any unaddressed advertisements / YES - I want the weekly newspapers". Our card said "NO - I don't want an eternal search / YES - I want real life in Jesus". On the back of the card we list the various activities of the congregation.

Along with this card we also distributed a card inviting them to a course we designed to "Get to know the Bible". When I went around the neighborhood to invite people personally and see if they remembered the cards, I was actually surprised by the results. Almost no one remembered the sticker-like card (which was designed to be remarkable). But several people remebered the invitation. That was also why they let me know quite quickly that they were not interested - but the had seen it.

I also had some good reactions to the card / invitation from the editorial team of the neighborhood newspaper I work with. They had all seen it and I was able to talk with them about it on a trip we all took together. But the best reaction so far has been from a woman who got the card from her mother. She saw that we haev a ladies club and was interested. I let her know that we were beginning a course on getting to know the Bible. She came to that, went to the ladies club two days later and completed the three-day course that evening. We are looking forward to getting to know her better. Please keep this in your prayers.

Pray also for the continuation of the course. I repeat the first three lessons next week and then move on to lessons 4-6 for those who are really interested in finding out what is in the Bible. Thanks for stopping by and for your continued support and encouragement! It is great getting to know so many people and seeing how wonderful our God truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment