Monday, March 26, 2012

Belgian diving?


Spring has arrived in Belgium and oh how glorious it is! We are so thankful for the sun and the smile that it brings to our faces. It makes it so much easier to get out and about when it is not raining or grey. And it has been good getting out and about.

We wanted to thank you again for your prayers and wonderful messages for Shirley during her recovery. She is doing great. It has now been 4 weeks since the operation and she is starting to get used to not doing some things. It is quite hard to be such an active woman and suddenly to have to let others do for you. Shirley has to think longer about which clothes to wear, for example, since she cannot pull a sweater over her head without some effort. Another reason for joy with the coming of warmer weather, fewer sweaters!

But this has meant that we have been learning more about working together in the kitchen, as mentioned previously. Mostly I am learning about how cooking works. Shirley sits at the counter and instructs me on what I should do. She keeps telling me that I am supposed to taste my food while cooking it, but that would mean getting my fingers messy (and some of you who know me know what a struggle that might be). I do not think that I will be able to remember many of the recipes, but I guess that is how most people have learned to cook – by trying and doing again and again.

One of my favorites, however, is a simple lunch involving “white loaf”. Witloof is a vegetable. I am told that it is called “Belgian endive” in English. It can be bitter, but I like a good mixture of flavors, and I like simplicity. So this lunch appeals greatly to me: simply peal the leaves from the Belgian endive and arrange them on the plate; place a piece of sandwich ham in the center, topped with thin slices of brie and throw the whole thing in the microwave for about two to three minutes. Top it off with a honey-mustard dressing. “Klaar is Kees!”

No comments:

Post a Comment