Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus


Revelation 7:9-10
I know… I have mentioned it before. I love singing. I not only love to sing, but I love listening to singing, being part of singing, seeing what singing can do to our hearts and our lives. I will be singing even after my voice has gone (I will sign or find some way to take part). Song is created by God. He made our bodies capable of producing sound. That is an amazing thought in and of itself. More importantly, He made us in a way that we desire and can combine our thought with our emotions.
This summer I was privileged to present a day of lessons from Revelation at our Family Camp. My section for this theme of “Those who conquer” was chapters 4-7. Me being me, what jumped out at me, among other things, was all the singing! Have you ever noticed?
Everywhere you look in the vision that John was given of heaven there is singing. Most of the time it says that something was “said”. In chapter 5:9-10 it specifically states that it is a song. But even the places where the creatures and elders and angels and all creation are ‘saying’, they are saying it together. It is a song. And what a song!
Now, I remember when I was growing up that some people said things like, “Why would I want to go to heaven? All that standing around singing all the time.” And the implication was that it is also boring singing. I wasn’t quite sure where they had gotten that idea. But here it is. Sure enough. We’ll be singing. And of course, when you are little, there is no way that you can understand the depth of love, the meaning that singing to the Lamb has.
I certainly would hope that a young child would not truly understand that. Because we understand the love, the beuaty, the power when we finally realize how far Jesus has brought us from our sinful life. We are only able to understand and sing with gusto (as much as our tears may allow us) when we have accepted the love that Jesus has presented us, when we have struggled through trying to make our own lives right and have failed. When we have struggled through all sorts of trials and pains and have come to see that our Father is still there and He has made us victorious!
But we will sing. And I am so thankful that that is possible. I am not only looking forward to that chorus, I am getting started already. Jesus is my conquering Lamb even today! Let’s raise our hearts, our voices, our hands, our lives to praise Him with all that we are – beginning NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment