Friday, March 20, 2020

Conversations

1st Friday conversations
Isn’t it amazing how God loves to talk? Look at the Bible. It is full of amazing stories. God has been telling us His story for a long time. But He also loves to listen. He is constantly asking us to talk to Him (pray) and has promised us that He is listening - very closely. Listening and talking are part of being with God (goes along with that walking bit I talked about recently). 
Our lives have changed a bit in our most recent season of life. We (Shirley and I) have more possibilities to go together and listen to conversations, take part in conversations. I am so thankful that we have these chances. Sometimes we are meeting with members from the congregation in Maastricht - on Wednesday evenings, Thursday mornings with the men or Friday mornings with the women (or Monday evenings further away). Sometimes we are singing and speaking to one another in spiritual songs - on first Fridays or third Wednesdays. 
But more recently I had also added some other options. On Tuesday morning and evening I hold a consultation for those who have questions about God or the Bible. The Dutch allows me to make a play on words and offer a “Speaking hour” when they can come talk - about any question they might have. Mid-March I was going to start with a Bible study group in the city. That has been put on hold for a bit (corona), but we will see how that works out in the coming months. Modern technology and social media makes these kinds of meetings possible. 
But everyday we notice that there are opportunities to listen and speak - if we pay attention. And technology also makes this possible. And even necessary in ‘Corona” times. We call a member of the church who is housebound at the moment. We email or whatsapp other members who can use an encouraging word. We get a text message from people looking for help, or offering help. Everywhere, people are speaking. I hear the cashier repeating her litany and try to remember to look her in the eye and wish her a good day, thanking her for her work. I wave at the car behind me that just let me in, thanking them for their kindness. I listen to the young one tell all about the funny story (that he told me yesterday three times already). 

God wants to talk to me and you. He is always listening to me and you. And we are made in His image, made to be able to listen and speak. What conversations have you had recently? How has ‘social distancing’ affected your conversation?

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.                 Hebrews 1:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment