Saturday, March 14, 2020

Walking in the rain

Yesterday I took the dog out. I do that every day. Twice. In the morning it is usually a wonderful time to think, to pray, to be aware that it is a new day with God. In the evenings, especially now since the days are getting longer again, the sunset might remind me of the blessings that continue daily. Chester’s joy and simply running around, sniffing, putting his ‘signature’ everywhere he can, lifts my heart. 
But sometimes it is raining. We live in Belgium, after all. I almost always take the umbrella with me, whether I think it is raining or not - because it might start after I get going on the walk. And the wind might be blowing. Hard. Which doesn’t always go well with carrying an open umbrella (and why would I have the umbrella shut if it is raining?). Water streams across the path and my socks get wet. I pull down my cap over my ears on the mornings that it is still freezing (which are quickly passing away). 
But I am just thankful that I can be outside, walking. I know people who cannot go outside and they really miss it. People in these days are being asked (told) to stay inside. Don’t get together with others. Don’t meet. Don’t greet. Don’t touch. But I live in a place where there are not that many people. I can walk. I can put a coat on and go outside and walk. And I am with God, wherever I go. 
I am thankful for how blessed I am. And I am thankful that no matter where I go I can walk with the One who created me, who knows what is happening in my life, who guides me and gives me strength each morning as the sun rises (even when I do not see it) and calms my evenings with a beautiful sunset and a night of rest (if I am willing to accept it). Isn’t it amazing that the one thing God did with Adam and Eve in the garden was take a walk?

Take a walk today, even if you can’t. Spend time with Him and be thankful for all the good that He continues te provide. Some days are going to be harder than others. But He is walking with you. And that is what He has always wanted to do. 

If we are walking in the light ,as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus, his son, purifies us of all sin.  1 John 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment