Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Wild Wonderful Wednesday

Today is a 5th Wednesday so I want to take you on a different kind of trip. The Netherlands is a country where the bicycle is more than welcome. Bike paths are everywhere in the cities and kids ride bikes from very early ages - even goin on their own to school across town. 

Admittedly, where we live in Belgium is not as bike friendly, but it is better than many places in Belgium - maybe because so many Dutch people live here. And although there is plenty of infrastructure for the bike, I must admit that I do noot use it as often as I might. But on a Thursday, I like to take the bike to my colleague, Ruud’s, house for our Bible study together. 

Ruud lives in the village on the other side of our “town” which population 13,500. Our village has about 1700 people. Ruud’s village is bigger with 3200. From our village to Ruud I can bike along a whole section free of the major road running North/South. Right out my driveway I simply bike to the paved road running along the canal which runs behind our house. 

I pass by two locks along the canal, passing a building supplies company on the right and a cellulose factory across the canal on the left. The road on the canal ends as I approach the local paper making company, Sappi (a South African company) where I have to turn right and climb a hill to join the main road. Thankfully I have a pedal assisted bike. Otherwise I would be walking this part of the trip. 

Up on the road I am able to bike on good bike paths, crossing the Albert Canal (which leads to Antwerp) on a bridge with plenty of space for cars, bikes and pedestrians. From this point I have a nice ride up a slight incline until I can coast all the way from the plateau into Ruud’s village. The journey takes me about 20-30 minutes (depending on how tired I am or how sweaty I want to get). 

After the study (we are looking at the book of Acts with E who is considering what it means to be a Christian), I can bike home, climbing the long hill I previously came down with such ease. But last week I decided to get some things done in the “city” - in Maastricht. 

From Ruud’s house I can bike right across the border, which is not really even recognizable as a border. You cross a bridge (crossing the Albert Canal again - this time the section going South to Liege) and bike along a mountain on the right. This is what some might call a mountain. I am from Colorado. It is a hill. Still, they have a ski hill on it in the winter. There is also a golf course here. 

Biking further into the city I pay attention to the right-of way. I am on a bike path, but just like any other traffic participant, I have to follow the rules. At intersections there are clear signs for who has right-of-way. “Shark’s teeth” (a line of triangles with the points toward the rider) painted on the bike path show that I must yield. At other points along this route, the red brick color of the bike path continues without any signs and the cars have the shark’s teeth. 


After passing the hill and golf club I come to a stoplight. There is a light specifically for the bicycles as well as pedestrians and cars. At this intersection there is also a light for the bus. Moving on when I get my green light I next approach a very large roundabout or rotunda. I have to yield here and also pay attention to the many “brommers” or scooters taking the bike path with me. 

These days there are all sorts of vehicles on the road. Back along the canal we always have top be aware of cyclists who are training. You know, Tour de France types on very skinny wheels flying by. They often do not have bells - and when they do, they do not always use them. So you have to simply be aware and be ready to get out of the way. 

But there is now also every kind of electrified vehicle. “Speed pedelecs” are VERY fast electric bikes. They can easily pass you going more than 50kmh. Then there are “scootmobiles”, used usually by older people out for a jaunt in the open air. Most often four-wheeled, they also silently sneak up on you with their older driver enjoying the speed of the electrified motor vehicle. 

Besides all of these vehicles, you may also end up with a mother pushing her baby buggy, or simply some pedestrians not wanting to walk on the sidewalk. But it seems most people get along just fine and the traffic is much safer than I have ever experienced in the States. During this trip I easily made it to my destination in downtown Maastricht. 

I needed to stop at the store, so I quickly parked the bike at the bike rack, fixed the lock and putting the key in my pocket (and taking my battery with me) walked into the store. You ALWAYS want to lock your bike in the Netherlands. In Amsterdam, there is a sort of saying: Lost your bike? No worries, just take the next one. While not everyone does this (and locks have gotten better), it is always good to keep your bike locked, even If you are quickly running into the store. 

As I leave the store, I walk my bike among the many pedestrians, listening to the many languages of the tourist who have come to Maastricht on this sunny day. I next want to visit an acquaintance in a nearby nursing home and afterwards turn my bike homewards. 

The whole trip will only cost me 30-40 minutes. It would be about the same if I were to take the car, because of traffic. I have often passed a bike only to have them pass me by as I am stuck in the traffic jam. This time I am the one passing the waiting cars. I bike back along the Meuse, amazed at how low the water is these days. You could probably cross the river on foot. 

This route takes me between the river and the canal. I cross the border back into Belgium in Smeermaas (another village that makes up our “town” - there are 7 of them) and ride further along the river. This section is beautiful - riding behind our local castle, past the wild cows that live here to keep the shrubbery in check, past the nests of the blue herons in the tops of the trees along the river. 

I get back home and haven’t even broken a sweat. Then I climb off my bike and realize that I have been exerting myself. That slight breeze always helps. But now the heat hits. Time for a cool glass of water and a sit in the shade before going into the house (where it is a sweltering 90 F). But it has been a good day and I am glad that it is so easy to get around on a bicycle. 


To give an idea of what it is like along this ride, here are a few video’s which are already online. 

This video is a walking tour, but it shows you the area along our canal. In fact, from 00:37 - 1:17 you can see our lock and the church in our village (our house is just down the street fro this church building). 

In this video (TURN OFF THE SOUND to skip the rude music) shows you the border crossing in Smeermaas, what the bike paths look like and what traffic is like along the canal and in Maastricht. 

No comments:

Post a Comment