Monday, August 29, 2022

Talk about it

I am an email guy. I know, I know - it’s old school. And yet I am old enough that I can remember how amazing it was to be able to keep contact with folks back in the States simply by this method. Back in the 80’s I sent airmail letters to Shirley - thin pieces of paper filled with tiny writing (to get as much in as possible) folded and sent with the post. Now I could simply write something on the computer, dial in, and send it via email. 

But I realize that things have changed. Although young people do have email accounts (perhaps because they must), they do not use them often. And others are so inundated by work emails that they do not want to look at an email after a day or week of work. So I have learned to use Whatsapp and Telegram. 

I even send text messages (called “sms” in Belgium) to those I know will not see their email or app. Sometimes this is the quickest way to reach someone. But I must admit that my fat fingers and “intuitive” text often make a mess of things. Still, it works.


The most important thing is that we can communicate. I have been so encouraged by how the members in the congregation in Maastricht take this to heart. The sisters have a group app where they encourage one another and keep in contact. Various sisters make the effort to call those who cannot be on the app group. The young members tend to be on Instagram more often, so one of them asked about an Instagram account for the congregation. She has set it up and maintains it. 

Other members are not tech people. They prefer a good conversation, face to face. So they make time to visit others in the congregation. Our church is made up of members from Belgium and The Netherlands, spread over a fairly wide area. Spending time together takes and effort and that effort is made. 


Others do it even more old-school: letters and cards, real mail (even if it is snail mail). Cards for birthdays, times of encouragement, anniversaries. These are often very important, coming at moments when encouragement is truly needed. One sister makes sure that cards are ready and signed by all the members. 

This is all done in a group made up of at least four different languages and various age groups. It takes effort to keep in contact with one another. It is much easier to wait until someone contacts you. But here we are learning, and putting into practice, how good it is to reach out and touch those around you. We share with one another how good God is in our lives. We share the needs for prayer in difficult times. We say “thank you” because we are thankful and “I love you” because we do. 



To borrow and adapt a phrase from a shoe company: Just say it. Today. In any way you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment