Monday, October 09, 2023

Talking Time

This summer at Teen Camp we added a new element called “Talkin’ Time” where the campers, split into guys and gals, could talk about some things that might be on their hearts. It is important to be able to talk. And everyone does this in a different way. I remember many conversations I have had with brothers in the church while taking a walk or fixing something in a house. As a matter of fact, time down at camp working on the facilities have been some of the most important conversations for many. 

Sometimes we never really know when an “important” conversation is going to take place or is taking place. That is why it is so important to be prepared at all times and to be ready to listen first. Colossians 4:6 encourages us to have salty talk and that we be ready to answer everyone. 1 Peter 3:15 says that we should always be prepared to give a reason for the hope we have. The most important element in these conversations is listening first. How can I say something that someone needs to hear if I do not even know what they are saying. 

Many of my conversations are not even face to face. Most recently I have had some conversations with our former neighbor who is now in prison in Antwerp. He can call me, but I cannot call back. So when I see his number, I pray for wisdom and prepare to listen first. I do not always have as much time to speak as I would like, but I try to make every moment count, to be an encouragement and pass the wisdom of God on in the situation. 

Some other conversations this past week have had to do with health. I am sort of a caregiver to a few seniors. One of them is our sister in Christ, Nel. The other two have come into my life through the years. One gentleman started reading the Bible with me years ago. It is only now, as he is facing some serious health questions, that he wants to really know more about prayer. The other conversation is with a 92 year-old woman who is thrilled that it is possible to talk directly to God. We pray together every time I visit her in the nursing home. 

It is often difficult to know how blunt one can be in a conversation. I usually ask if someone really wants to know an answer before I try to give one. This means, once again, that listening is the beginning of speaking. It also means that there has to be some sort of relationship. We know each other. That is why we can have a conversation. Although I might say that I am preaching, I am not simply proclaiming. We are talking together about what is important. And yes, if difficult things need to be said, then they must be said. This is where love and care is truly shown. 

Please continue to pray for the conversations we have with our neighbors, people we are studying with, church members, young people from camp and people we meet during the day. Every conversation can be an important moment - in our lives and theirs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment