Monday, October 16, 2023

Young and old

When I first came to the Netherlands I was a university student. It was a summer campaign in the summer after my first year. A whole group of us from York College went to the Netherlands and helped with an evangelism campaign in the various cities. It was this campaign that put the desire in my heart to serve God in these areas. 

When Shirley and I finally moved to Europe, 10 years after that first campaign (which was also when we started dating), we had both been on campaigns in the Netherlands in the years following. Shirley had been to Italy and the Netherlands. I had spent two years working with Jim Krumrei. In that time I also worked with evangelists down in Belgium. Mark and Jill Brazle, Larry and Gayle Good and Blair and Susan Roberts were a team. They also had apprentices working with them and I worked together with those apprentices. 

I remember the feeling of being able to depend on the wisdom of these older brothers and sisters. We were learning, being mentored. I felt so young and knew that they were much older. As it turns out, some of them are only 10-15 years older. Although this may seem a lot to some, as you get older, you realize that it isn’t that much. 

This past weekend I was honored to help with the wedding of Jan and Margriet. Mark Brazle was there to perform the service and Jill sang with me and her son, Luk (my colleague) in a small choir. Jim and Ruth were there (they are now in their 90’s) as well as other members I have worked with throughout the years. I almost felt young again. It was good to see and hear again from these various brothers and sisters who had so shaped my life in Christ. 

At the same wedding, I was able to be with Luk and his wife, Holly. I enjoy our opportunities to work together immensely. Luk and I first worked together long ago when he - as a 12-year-old - taught me how to work with some windows down at camp. He was a technical kid even then. Later, when he returned to Belgium as a young man, we sang together in Listen Up!, spreading the gospel through song. Now we encourage one another mostly at camp. 

We were also with another young couple, Jelmer and Rebekah, with whom we worked this past summer for Teen Bible Camp. And there were several others, young and older, who are all actively engaged in their local congregations spreading and living the good news of life in Jesus Christ. It was exciting to see and realize that God is able to use us all in various ways and times as He see best - as long as we are willing to allow Him to work in our lives. 

Age matters in what we can do. Age sometimes matters as far as how wise we might be or how much experience we might have. But in the end, age doesn’t matter as to if we can work together or not. Every time I get together with members of the church - like we did at this wedding - I am reminded of how beautiful God’s design is and how mighty He is. 


(Thanks to Luk for the picture of the singing group)

No comments:

Post a Comment