Monday, May 15, 2006

That's easy for you to say

Recounting the past few weeks in our house sounds like a medical history in a hospital ward.

Stephan had his wisdom teeth surgically removed (all four at once) so there goes any hope for a wise son. On the other hand, he’ll have the chance to be just like me (I had mine out a few years back). Is that good or bad? He is recovering very well, in any case. Usually they say that it can be a week or two before they are feeling better. Stephan was up and going the next day and even went to a friend’s birthday party – taking the train with his little brother to get there. A little bit of swelling, the typical beautiful coloring of a bruise on the chin (leads to some interesting conversations) and he’s doing fine.

Sean has been struggling for several months now with his achilles tendon. That is that tight thing at the back of your foot that feels kind of like a bone. Sean lives for soccer and received a kick at the back of the foot. In January we took him to the doctor who prescribed physical therapy. That meant no soccer for about six weeks (imagine trying not to breath for that long and you will understand Sean’s frustration). We had just bought him a set of soccer shoes, ball and shirt with shorts. They sat at the bottom of his bed waiting in eager anticipation for the day he could use them. When that day came, he gladly went back to playing – for about two weeks. Then the pain came back and he returned to the physical therapist. Now it has struck his right foot and the therapist has mentioned that it might be his quick growth that is causing the problems. Sure enough, Sean has been shooting up in the last three months. He is now almost past Shirley.

Shirley is struggling this past week with a sinus infection. Not the kind you get behind your eyes, or in your forehead, but in her cheek – she feels it in her teeth and jaw. When Shirley decides that she has to lie down and do nothing, then you know she really is in pain. There is not much that can stop her. But we have made an appointment with the nose,throat and ear doctor (the antibiotics and nose spray from the GP weren’t helping at all)and hopefully she will be feeling better in a few days.

But I’m okay. And everyone just keeps going on, doing the best they can. We all pitched in to make yesterday the best we could for Shirley yesterday (flowers, breakfast, a list of tasks that can always be called upon, necklaces that matched her dresses beautifully). The sun is shining again and we should make it just fine. Of course I’m the one writing this and I don’t feel their pain, so it’s literally easy for me to say.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:51 AM

    Wow! I didn't know you've had so many medical issues going on lately (course I'm down here in Abilene taking Missions Seminar again, so this is the first chance I've had this week to be online - and yes, I'm taking cultural anthropology this time - and loving it! Luk told me I had to - I'll have to remember to thank him!) Since it's now the end of the week, I hope Shirley is feeling better and that Stephan and Sean aren't noticing any pain! BTW, I never had any wisdom teeth and I seem to have turned out ok (but then again, maybe that's not for me to say ;)

    Love and miss you guys tons!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, about sean: i know how he feels. when i hit my growth spurt, my knees went into joint hell. actually, that was after, but same difference. they're still recovering from the sudden surge of growth, but its getting better. and sean: you'll live. soccer can wait until you're better. i luv u much and i'd hate to see you getting surgery or anything like that, just for pushing it.

    ReplyDelete