Tuesday, June 07, 2011

So…. Who is He listening to anyway?

Today we got some more rain … and I was thankful. We have been going through quite a dry spell here in Belgium. At one point they were telling us that we would need to have 14 straight days of rain in order to get to where we should be. Imagine Belgium without rain! So we have been praying for rain.

But many of my friends and family have been praying that rain, snow, storms and weather would cease. Tornados and flooding have caused terrible troubles in too many places. And so we have been praying with our friends and brothers and sisters in other countries.

But who is God listening to? What is best: rain or drought? And this is “simply” weather. What about when someone is sick and/or dying? When I am praying for my son’s safety and he is praying to have good fun? Does God hear me more than you? To whom does He listen?

For me the question has been more – what do I ask. I know He is listening to me – even the most inane things I might say or think. He cares about all of that. I know because Jesus told us so. And Jesus shows me what is important, how to ask, what to see as most important. Jesus asked for what he wanted, but he left all in the Father’s hands. “Not my will, but yours be done.”

Paul, too struggled with what he desired. Wouldn’t it be better to leave this life and go Home? But there is still so much to be done! (see Philippians 1:21-24). Perhaps instead of praying for rain, I should pray for strength to help those struggling with drought.

We are missing the rain, so I will continue to ask my wonderful Father for rain – as I will continue to ask for strength. And when the rain comes, I will remember to give thanks (and not complain about how wet it is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment