Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Whatsit Wednesday: Garden machines

Although we had to wait until the end of March to usher in summer time and the official time-keeping of Spring, Spring itself came a bit early this year. We always know that Spring is on its way when we see the crocuses at the bottom of our yard poke their heads above the ground. Beautiful little purple or whitish flowers with a yellow touch to them show up in clumps around our walnut tree. 

Of course the flowers are not the only things that start waking up. The cherry tree waits for some time to start blooming, but it is well on its way now in April. The weeds on the other hand have shown up with a vengeance. “Weeds”? I hear some of you saying: “There are no such things as weeds. Everything is useful.” Which may be true, but I have to admit that there are plenty of plants that I do not really want to see in my yard - and certainly not growing in the stones of my driveway. 

So I try to find time to do some weeding at times throughout the year. It isn’t nearly as often as Shirley or my neighbors might want, but it is what I can find. And I mow the grass. In May they have come up with a new thing: Don’t Mow in May. This is supposed to help the butterflies and bees and all sorts of other insects. It helps me because I do not have to feel guilty when I do not mow - a whole month long. 

Of course, but the time May is done, the grass is knee high and the moss is taking over the lower part of the yard. This is where the “scarifier” might come in. Although, to be correct, a scarifier is supposed to be used in the Fall, not in the Spring. But you may not even know what a scarifier is. 

I looked up the English translation. This is what I got. In Dutch it is a “verticuteerder”. Try saying that quickly three times. This machine is meant to loosen up and aerate the soil so that it doesn’t become mossy. It helps everything to grow better. I have to admit that I do not own a scarifier. I barely get around to using the mower. I would be adding guilt feelings to guilt feelings if I had a scarifier. Maybe that is why it has gotten that name. 


But as I said, one should not use a scarifier in the Spring. It would be like pruning your fruit trees in the Spring. This is what I did when we first moved here. I knew that I was to prune the cherry tree at some time, and it had been so cold in the Winter. So I waited for a nice day and pruned it then. Two older men walking by along the canal could be heard exclaiming at my ignorance for pruning in the Spring. 

The trees have continued blossoming (as they are now) and the grass keeps growing, no matter what I do to it. I use the weed pulling in the driveway as therapy. It feels good to be able to get a job done and see order.  And most Dutch or Belgian fathers, although they may look down on me, will not say anything. The Dutch will simply preen about their wel- manicured postage-stamp size front gardens. And the Belgians will simply brag about their newest tools. I can truly praise and be pleased with both efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment