Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Whensday: 1637 - The Statenvertaling

We of course use our Bible every day. We are extremely thankful not only that there are Bibles readily available (thanks to the invention of a printing press), but that we can read God’s word in so many languages. Just as in English, the Dutch language has many different translations. As a language changes, so the translation needs to keep step in order to be understandable by its readers. 

I remember coming to faith using an NIV English Bible. I am an English teacher by training, so reading the KJV (King James Version) later was not only possible, I enjoyed it and still do enjoy it. But I understand that many people would have a difficult time reading something from the 17th century - just as they might struggle with Shakespeare. The same is true for the Dutch translations. 

When I first came to the Netherlands, I learned my Dutch by reading a Gideon New Testament which had English on one side and Dutch on the other. This way I could figure out what I was reading, seeing and knowing it already in English. This translation was a fairly old version, as was the one I came to use the most - translated in 1951. But it was the version that has become my heart version. All of the texts I know from heart come from this version. 

But the original translation, the first official translation of the Bible from the original languages into Dutch, was completed in 1637 and so is very like the KJV. It was commissioned by the Staten Generaal - the States General of the Netherlands, which is the governing body (Senate and House of Representatives) of the Netherlands. The abbreviation used is SV. 

The NBG-1951 is the translation that I came to know the most. It is an official translation from the Dutch Bible Society (NBG), presented in 1951. In the 1970’s there was a modern language version presented called “Good News” and most recently there has been a NBV (New Bible Version). But those who loved the SV also wanted a linguistically updated version and brought the HSV or Revised Statenvertaling. 

As at all times I find it most important that people read their Bible. The words need to get into their hearts and minds. If someone has a different version (there are also two Catholic versions that many people would have if they have a Bible in house), then I am more than willing to help them read it. The most important thing is that they are reading and applying what they read in their lives. 

We also have various foreign language Bibles in our building, including one in Arabic, Chinese, Spanish and even in English. We have a regular visitor who is a Syrian refugee. She has her Bible on her phone (as so many do these days - and what a blessing that is), but we have a version for her if she needs it. 

What is your favorite translation of the Bible? When did you first start reading your Bible? 

No comments:

Post a Comment