Monday, May 06, 2024

Saying goodbye

This past week was a week of goodbyes. A dear sister in the church in Liege passed away unexpectedly quickly and quietly. Leonie and her husband George are stalwarts in the church in French-speaking Belgium, in Liege. They have both been involved with Bible camp from near the beginning and have been encouragers of many throughout their years. 

In Maastricht we have known this couple for many years as they come to our monthly singing every first Friday. This has not been possible this past year, but we were thankful to have seen them last year when the congregation of Maastricht went down to camp for a day of fellowship and the church in Liege joined us there for the afternoon. We also celebrated the 60th wedding anniversary of George and Leonie last year. 

Leonie was a quiet, beautiful, happy soul. We were not able to have long conversations because our French is not that complete and she spoke almost no Dutch or English. But when an interpreter was present or when we were sharing God’s word in a group, her joy and hope were always clear. She had struggled with some health problems in the last decade, but continued to be everywhere she could when she could. How beautiful an example she has been to so many. We look forward to seeing her again when we all get Home. 

This past Saturday I helped officiate a funeral for Marguerite. I met her as the girlfriend of a man I read the Bible with. Both Rob and Marguerite were in their 70’s when I met them. Rob passed away almost 3 years ago. Marguerite made it to 93 years old. In that time we got to know each other better. Shirley and I also got to know her family through her. Marguerite had no children, but many loving nephews and nieces. 

The most interesting thing about Marguerite and my relationship was how we were able to talk about God. Marguerite always had questions, realizing that Shirley and my faith was different than what she was used to. She would ask things like if we also had Mary in our faith. I would point out where Mary appeared in the Bible and we would talk about it. Or she would ask questions about Jesus and I would show her again what the Bible had to say about it. 

Every time we met I would ask if we could end the meeting with a prayer and she was always surprised that I would simply talk to God. At one point she asked if she could do that too. So she learned to pray in a different way than she was used to, simply talking to God. So much of her faith was a cultural faith - something we often talked about. 

At her funeral Shirley and I were able to talk to various members of her family who were present. We always hope to be encouragers and a place where people can ask questions if they have them. We are always thankful for God’s grace and leave Marguerite in His righteous hands. 

It has always been clear how different Marguerite and Leonie are.  Marguerite was often afraid. She feared death, even though she knew that it was inevitably coming. She fought cancer twice and was a sickly child, so she had fought all her life. Leonie faced death many times as well throughout her life, but she knew where she was going. We are so very thankful that we can say “See you later” to those we know who have clothed themselves with Christ and have a home prepared for them. 


As I post this we are praying for Shirley's sister who has gone to hospital and is on life support. We want the best for her and she knows the Lord. But we do not want to have to say goodbye just yet. This remains the reality and the struggle. Thank you for your prayers. 


“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” John 14:1-4


[The picture is of Marguerite's grave right across from the grave of Rob Wessels]

No comments:

Post a Comment